Sunday, August 15, 2010

Invisible

Editor's note:
An entry from our first Guest Blogger.

You can request to become a guest blogger as well by emailing your blog entry to mytnpain@gmail.com for approval. Be sure to include your name (or let me know if you want to use a nickmane or remain anonymous) and city/state/country.
**************************************************************************************************

It's there, but no one can see it. We appear perfectly normal, and yet we are not.
The only evidence of this pain is our response to it. Is it the way we stop talking mid sentence while invisible ice picks jab us in the face, taking our breath away? Is it our heads turning downwards or covering up to escape the cool wind; refreshing for others, but torture for those of us with TN? Is it our absence at work, family gatherings or other social outings? Or is it this new version of ourselves - the one who looks fine but fakes health and happiness to get through an event, in order to avoid discussions about something that is difficult for even us to understand? Or maybe we dismiss concerns or questions with a wave of the hand and a “I have a headache” or whatever generic phrase we have found useful. We all have them, those simple, meaningless explanations. Who of us launches into the full details of trigeminal neuralgia? Few people have ever even heard of it, let alone know how to say it, explain it or certainly understand it. So what do you do, what do you say, to get through those moments? How do you explain such a complicated condition? Maybe we can learn from each other as we have been doing on forums, journals and now blogs all along. Maybe discovering key words, or the perfect phrase just might be the ticket to making life a little less difficult for someone.

One thing I have learned is this: “We are trying to live in a normal world with an
abnormal condition.” These genius words are not mine, but they have changed me. (thank you Jady) Like a lightbulb going off, they have helped me begin to accept things. How can my life possibly go on as it was before when I am not as I was before? If it was a broken limb or another visible ailment, we would not hesitate to modify our lives to make things work better or expect support from friends, family or coworkers. We would not have to ask for empathy or to explain. People would just accept our condition and make whatever adjustments were necessary. Perhaps if we want others to understand and accept the limitations TN creates, then we need to be willing to do the same ourselves. They can't understand us if we don't give them the tools to at least try. Maybe we all need to take the time to come up with a simple explanation for casual acquaintances to make life easier. Close friends and family probably don't need one. They'll ask questions and learn with us as we go through this journey. Hopefully they will share that with others so we don't have to.

Of course we owe no one an explanation. We don't have to say a word. We can continue to cover our heads, avoid parties and loud events, refrain from foods and beverages that are bothersome and other triggers that make our life more difficult and bring us pain. Telling someone won't make us better. But, it might make life easier,
cause others to stop and think, to at least be aware of the things that make our life more challenging, to clear the path for us so to speak, to be our support team. We don't owe anyone anything, but we do owe ourselves - to do what's best for us. And for those who support us. Wouldn't you do the same for someone else?

Please share how you “explain” this invisible condition to people, how you find ways to get support and understanding in the normalcy of life that continues to whirl around you.

-Submitted by Painterchic from North Carolina, USA

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the guest blog post painterchic! I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put TN and its sufferers at the top of your priority; hopefully others will follow suit! I encourage any followers to email any suggestions or possible blog posts to mytnpain@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is MY explanation when I need a quick one... it's not quite good enough but it helps.
    "I have a condition that has caused nerve damage in my face and head, causing me pain." They either ask more questions or say "So, how's the weather..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Painterchic, that's what I say. To eliminate additional questions, I shorten the story just say, "I have nerve damage in my face."

    ReplyDelete
  4. "you don't owe any one any explanation," best advice from an excellent nurse of mine in chicago. if anyone pushes i say, it is a rare neurological condition that causes severe facial pain. then often I change the subject. it is almost impossible and very frustrating to explain to anyone anything good or horrible what they have not experienced.
    jady evansville in

    ReplyDelete
  5. My symptoms started from a minor TBI (brain injury). Initially, I was dazed and had a lump on my head that beled. About a 1 1/2 days later, symptoms of a TBI showed. There was a build up of pressure in my head that lasted for 2 weeks or so. I felt puffy yet functioned normally and even drove a car to doctor appointments every other day. While that was happening, symptoms of vertigo appeared and my left eye did not keep time or move with the right one. I think this was the start or root of the slight damage to the T Nerve. My APRN, who I see 95% of the time tends to agree. From this injury, it costed me my marriage, daily headaches/migraines, T N pain especially behind the eye, tinitus and virtigo. If I only called in sick that day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie and Kaz, thank you for sharing your comments. It is very helpful to hear what others have said. Kaz, I am so sorry that your marriage was jeopardized because of such a horrible illness. How are you both doing now? Are you still TN sufferers or have you received treatment for it? I'd love to hear more about your stories. Welcome aboard! Please feel free to create a profile so you can follow as more posts are created!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still dealing with W Comp. Fighting for everything with an attorney. As far as TN goes, my APRN that I see in place of my doctor, who can do everything except perform surgery, thinks it is slightly damaged on the left side. With my headaches and migraines, I get various meds to keep it under control. The only down side is that I don't lead a normal life. My pain meds make me drowsy and if the pain is strong enough, I sleep 1-2 times extra a day. I have 2 opiates that I rotate as to not build a tolerance.

    The pain usually hits strong, sudden and short for me and only just behind the left eye. Then I have instances where the whole TN is involved but it is just sensitive. Sensitive enough to not want to touch, shave or even wash my face. Then my headaches are just an everyday thing. I just measure them on how much I can do that day or if right off the bat, they are so bad I just do nothing but rest and medicate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kaz, was your TN brought on by a work injury? Just courious since you said you're dealing with WC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have TN as well and had MVD surgery in March.
    Suddenly a few weeks ago I started getting vertigo. I couldn't drive or work some days. I went to my ENT and they thought that it was possibly menieres disease. Then about two weeks ago I was at work and had a vertigo spell and fell into the copy machine knocking out two of my teeth. The doctors now don't think that it's Meniere's but they don't know what it is either.
    I just found it curious that Kaz has TN and vertigo too. I have been wondering if there is a connection.

    ReplyDelete